Tuesday 16 November 2010

PRAYING WITH IMAGINATION

Learned this prayer exercise from "Exploring Prayer" by Sue Mayfield.

Imagine you are in a secret garden. Imagine the sights, the sounds, the smells and even the touch on your skin as the gentle breeze sweeps by. You see your favourite bench and walk towards it. As you sit there, Jesus comes to sit with you. He is pleased to see you. He has been hoping you would come.

Think about how do you feel as you sit beside him in the garden? Jesus asks you what you are thinking about - what are the things on your mind? Imagine the things you would tell him. How does he listen? How does He responds? Now he asks you what you need today and what you would like him to give you. Imagine the conversation. Listen to what He has to say to you. When the conversation is over. you say goodbye to Jesus and walk out of the garden. What would you bring with you from the garden? Take a moment to reflect on how you feel.

I find this type of prayer very powerful. So I desire to try it out, but I have no garden to go to. I am very fortunate. Each morning I have to take a 20-30 minute walk by the monsoon drain to the office. It's quiet and pleasant. Before I reach the entrance point, I imagine Jesus is already there waiting for me. Then I greeted him and hold His hand. And together we walk along the drain and talk and talk. I tell him what's bothering me, my disappointments and what I wish to have. Soon I reach my office and we bade farewell.

I find this prayer exercise very refreshing. It's like talking to your buddy or my boyfriend. If that day I cannot walk as weather does not permit, while on the bus, I imagine Jesus waiting for me in the office. I am usually the first one to be in and I have about an hour in the office to myself. So Jesus and I have a good time talking before my colleague arrives.

1 comment: