Monday 28 December 2009

Acts 12:5 v. Revelations 8:3-4

At present, I am reading a most wonderful book by R.T. Kendall entitled 'Did you think to pray?'

I would love to share some of the things in this book which have encouraged me a lot and taught me much.

There are no doubt two kinds of intercession: (1) perfunctory intercession, and (2) earnest intercession. The first kind is what often happens with so many of us when we are given a prayer list. We have all done this - praying rather perfunctorily - whether in public prayer meetings or at home. By 'perfunctory' I do not mean that one is unconcerned; I am simply pointing out that sometimes we pray through a list, interceding for those in need, but not with a burden of 'life or death' fervency.

But in the case of the earnest intercession of those in the early Church for Peter, their burden was so intense that it could not have been calculated. No adverb or adjective could even come close - 'earnest', 'unremittingly', 'tearfully', 'heartfelt', 'desperately' - to how they truly felt. The possibility of losing Peter was such an awful thought that they all prayed with a burden and concentrated intercession, such that no greater prayer can be imagined. It is the way that you and I would pray for a loved one who was in a critical condition.

And yet do not underestimate the power or effectiveness of what I have called 'perfunctory' intercession. Such prayer may go on for months or even years, and God hears such intercessions. We are told these prayers are bottled up in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment