Wednesday 30 December 2009

Isaiah 45:15

Praying without a sense of God from the book entitled 'Did You Think to Pray?'

Richard Bewes preached once at Westminster Chapel, a talk he called "Between the Times." He described how so much of life is just that - 'between the times' - when things aren't apparently 'happening', whether referring to the lives of inventors, composers or any number of creative people. Such people do indeed have their high water marks when a breakthrough comes, but most of the time is about waiting for such a moment.

My best times are when I pray. Yes, that is absolutely true. But I have to tell you also that some of my worst times are when I pray. My prayer life is more 'between the times' than times of breakthrough, discovery, insight, immediate and direct witness of the Spirit and an acute sense of the presence of God. It is when God hides His face. 'Truly you a God who hides himself, O God and Saviour of Israel"

I write this chapter because I need to put you in the picture as fully as possible. I admit to having very wonderful times in prayer, but to be equally candid, I have to tell you I know what it is - so much of the time - to wait before the Lord with my Bible and note pad, and having to give up after an hour or two without any great feeling of joy or fresh insights. Most mornings (my favourite time to pray) are actually like this!



No comments:

Post a Comment