Tuesday 7 September 2010

Philippians 4:5

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

In this chapter of his letter to the church at Philippi, Paul exhorts the believers to stand firm in the Lord. Paul asked that whatever they have learned or received or heard from him, or seen in him - put it into practice.

But when I read v5 "Let your gentleness be evident to all" I know Paul wants us to follow his example to be gentle. But the next part of this verse is ''The Lord is near''. I find it strange that these words are attached to v5 and I felt these words should be attached to the beginning of verse 6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

As I ponder about it, the picture of a dove came to me. The Lord is as gentle as the dove. The dove sits or stands on my shoulder, thus He is near me. And should I lose my temper and shout or speak angrily, the dove is frightened by the loud noise and fly away. I have scared away the Holy Spirit who is ever the gentleman!

Prayer:Dear Lord, I desire to be gentle - just like You! Enable and empower me to be just like You. And may those around me see Your gentleness in me and glorify Your name. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

1 comment: