Friday 17 September 2010

Jesus Heals A Centurion's Servant

I read up this story in Matthew chapter 8, using a few translations. I wanted to check and confirm the word ''under'' in verse 9. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, "'Go", and he goes; and to another, "Come." and he comes....

This word has so far escaped my eyes and understanding. I have always assumed this centurion was saying, "For I also am a man with authority..." When I read the word ''under'', this story seems to have even a deeper meaning. He did not equate himself with Jesus, but humbled himself and acknowledged that he is under Jesus' authority - just like the spirit of infirmities.

Prayer:Thank you Lord for teaching me new lessons each time I read Your Word - even if it's the same story. Same story, but a different lesson learned each time.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, may God grant us a teachable heart each time we read His Word....new revelation!

    ReplyDelete