Tuesday 1 September 2009

CONVERSATION PEACE

At present I am reading a book recommended by a friend entitled 'Conversation Peace'. I would love to share with you some useful and helpful lessons I read.

Our words and behaviour (actions) are like the leaves and fruits of a plant.They are above the surface and can be observed. Our attitudes and thoughts are hidden like the root of a plant. Some roots of bad speech are envy, pride, malice, arrogance, bitterness, and lack of self-control. But there is a third factor that affects the plant-and it is the most important factor:the soil. The soil represents our deepest beliefs and values.

Let's look at a practical example. We'll evaluate the speech problem, identify the root attitude, and see if we can identify the false belief from which it sprang.

"You are so stupid!" Sally screamed after Fred had forgotten that it was his turn to pick the kids up from school. "You never get anything right! I wish I had never married such a blundering, inconsiderate fool!"

Leaves = faulty speech= Criticism, mocking, exaggeration, put-down
Root =faulty attitude = Impatience, anger, bitterness
Soil=Faulty belief= 1) Lie:I know his motives
Truth:Only God can see the heart. (1 Chronicles 28:9)
2)Lie : I am better than he is
Truth:All have sinned, me included (Romans 3:10)
3) Lie: I have the right to judge him.
Truth:God alone is judge (Romans 14:10)
4) Lie: I have the right to be resentful
Truth:God says forgive (Matthew:18:21-22)

The Bible has a lot to say about our mouths, our lips, our tongues, for our speech betrays us. what is down in the well will come up in the bucket.

1 comment:

  1. Many a time, we only tackle the leaves and fruits, those things we can see but did not go deeper and examine the root.

    I love the term given by one brother - "REAP" which is Read, Examine And Pray. We need to read God's Word, examine ourselves before God and pray to align according to his word.

    ReplyDelete