Thursday 5 November 2009

SUPER-SLOW READING OF THE BIBLE

In her book 'Listening to God', Joyce Huggett mentioned a book she read entitled 'YOU'. The author introduced a simple reading technique called 'super-slow' reading. This method of reading is reflective reading. You take a verse of scripture or a familiar passage and instead of studying it analytically, you read it as slowly as possible, presenting yourself to the situation described so forcibly that you begin to experience, with your imagination, the sights, sounds and feelings that are painted for you by the author.

Joyce experimented with this art of super-slow reading with Mark's account of the Crucifixion. This scene(using this reading technique) changed her life when she see Jesus writhing on the cross before her very own eyes. Her personal response is a humble and grateful surrender to Jesus' depths of loving for her.

Incidentally I was also reading Mark - about the faith of a Syrophoenician Woman. I tried to put myself in this woman's shoes. I picture myself asking Jesus to heal my child and was quite stunned at Jesus' response,"First , let the children eat all they want, for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." Jesus' compassion is well known, that's why people from all over the country seek Him out - so why was His response so harsh? Or so I thought. I also imagined the woman's desperation and also her faith when I read her answer. How would I have responded to Jesus? Would I have been offended or would I humble myself? To give an answer as a third party is easy - but what would my respond be if I were the woman? I am distressed for my child, I come to seek the healer, the doctor. Instead of healing my child, He embarassed me by calling us names in the presence of so many strangers (Jews)? Why, oh why did I come?

It's a most exciting and rewarding method of Bible study!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Jean. It is great to take time to reflect upon His words and let His words become picture come alive.

    ReplyDelete