Tuesday 25 August 2009

1 Peter 5:5

"Humility is perfect quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, or irritated, or sore, or disappointed; it is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when I am blamed and despised. It is to have a blessed home in the Lord where I go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret, and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness when all around and above is trouble."

The world, I thought, belonged to me -
Goods, gold and people, land and sea -
Where'er I walked beneath God's sky
In those old days my word was "I"

Years passed; there flashed my pathway near
The fragment of a vision dear;
My former word no more sufficed,
And what I said was - "I and Christ"

But, O the more I look on Him,
His glory grew, while mine grew dim,
I shrank so small, He towered so high,
All I dared say was - "Christ and I"

Years more the vision held its place
And looked me steadily in the face,
I speak now in humble tone,
And what I say is - "Christ alone"

No comments:

Post a Comment